Stop the Bleed - Basic Course
Individual or Group Rate ($40/student)
(maximum of 10 students)
Note: You must provide the classroom, or schedule the facility where you would like this instruction to take place.
This course was developed by the xxxxxxxxx to address preventable deaths from major blood loss (accidents, violent crime, active killer events).
This is a basic course, and is suitable for all ages.
The course objectives are:
1. The identification of major bleeding;
2. Use of pressure dressings to stop major bleeding;
3. Use of tourniquets to stop major bleeding on extremities; &
4. Use of wound packing to stop major bleeding in junctional areas (armpits/shoulders/groin area).
The student will be issued a Stop the Bleed Certificate upon completion of the course.
This course consists of 2-3 hours of lecture, demonstration, and hands-on modules using direct pressure, tourniquets, and packing of simulated wounds with gauze to stop major, life-threatening blood loss.
This is a very basic course, and is suitable for all ages and locations.
(No simulated blood will be used in this class, unless specifically requested. A $20 fee will be added for simulated blood).
This course follows the American College of Surgeons' guidelines and curriculum for the 'Stop the Bleed' program, and upon completion each participant will be issued a 'Stop the Bleed Certificate'.
The following is a typical two-day School Safety Course Training Schedule (on request I can modify this to a three-day course and add additional content (additional range training; additional block on civilian response to traumatic injuries), if desired):
Day 1: (Approx. 8 - 10 hours)
- Written Pre-Test (on current LTC laws) (90% required)
- Hands-on Dry Fire in the classroom to establish base-line skills
- Range Pre-Qualification (same course of fire as LTC Course) (90% required)
- Overview of the Texas DPS School Safety Course
- Overview of Active Shooter events & responses / Lessons Learned
- Avoid / Deny / Defend methodology (with practical exercises specific to a school setting)
Day 2: (Approx. 8 - 10 hours)
- Continuation of Avoid / Deny / Defend methodology (with practical exercises)
- Immediate care of the wounded, with emphasis on bleeding control & protecting the airway (TECC protocols for non-medical personnel to render aid while waiting on first responders to arrive + "Stop the Bleed" training)
- Interaction with First Responders
- Final Written Exam (90% required)
- Shooting Under Duress (Instruction & Range Exercises)
- Issue "School Safety Course" & "Stop the Bleed" Certificates