Texas LTC Course / (formerly CHL Course)
(Texas License to Carry Course / Concealed Handgun Course)
One-on-One or Couples Class 1 day (approx 9 hrs) - OR -
2 days (approx 15 hours)
($300 / 150 rounds)
( + $60 range fee for Spouse )
Private Group Rate (1 or 2 Day as reflected above)
(3-6 people max) ($260 per individual / 150 rounds)
Quality of instruction is more important to me than high customer volume, and if you desire to carry concealed you should not settle for the minimum, mandatory level of instruction. Rather than merely glossing over the fundamentals, we will actually conduct marksmanship instruction mirroring that of world-class institutions while covering all of the state requirements.
I do not strive to just meet the state-mandated minimum standards; this results in a client who is frustrated and feels less than confident in carrying a concealed handgun. I strive to produce safe and competent individuals who have the base-line skills to employ a concealed firearm when necessary and justified.
We will first complete the 4-6 hours of classroom training that is mandated by the Texas Legislature, conduct the hands-on marksmanship proficiency exam (not included within the 6 hrs classroom instruction), and immediately following the issuance of your LTC-100 certificate we will conduct additional range training that will prepare you with the base-line skills you will need once you receive your LTC. This additional range time will not be reflected on your LTC-100; this is beyond the scope of the DPS LTC program, and is not mandatory. Consider it my service to you.
Please note the high round count; we will fire much more than the standard qualification course. This, and the small instructor-to-student ratio with a professional instructor, is what sets my course apart from all the others. Feel free to compare this with those instructors who will offer you a weak course, offer to sell you products, then invite you to come back to learn how to carry concealed under the guise of an advanced course. I do understand that my prices are higher than most other LTC courses; however, I ask you to compare the level of competence most other instructors will provide you, attitude-free, in preparing you for a potentially life-altering decision to carry a concealed firearm. I wish I could say differently, but it is disheartening to hear my clients recount stories of taking their Texas CHL / LTC class somewhere else and then make the mature decision to not carry because they felt ill-prepared to safely carry & employ their pistol if needed. I not only have a lifetime of experience in teaching basic thru advanced marksmanship techniques around the world; I recently completed my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice graduating Magna Cum Laude. While I'm nowhere near being a lawyer, this does provide you with the unique opportunity of learning from someone who will not merely read from the penal code and click on Power Point slides, but rather from someone who can explain what it means in layman's terms. And finally, this rate is for INDIVIDUALIZED Instruction; that is, a one-on-one or couples setting, NOT for a large public group setting. If you would like to schedule a small group session (3-6 of your family or friends, or a corporate training event) I can easily accommodate that as well.
- This course has both an academic and hands-on portion, with a PASS / FAIL written test and a PASS / FAIL range proficiency test. I prefer to conduct the class over a two-day period, as this allows me to cover some additional material and use a hands-on approach to dry fire instruction in the classroom. I can conduct the LTC class in a single day if you prefer, however you will not have time to benefit from the extra classroom & range training.
The following is a typical two-day Cold Bore Tactical LTC Course Training Schedule:
Day 1: (Approx. 6 1/2 hrs, NOT including lunch or breaks)
- Overview of the Texas LTC Program
- Lawful Carry, and the Use of Force (Mandatory Topic)
- Firearms Safety, Safe Storage, & Restraint Holsters (Mandatory Topic)
- Loading, Unloading, and Clearing a Pistol (using dummy rounds) *
- Fundamentals of Pistol Marksmanship (Mandatory Topic), & how they are modified during a defensive encounter *
- Non-Violent Dispute Resolution (Mandatory Topic)
- Course Review & Written Exam (Mandatory Topic)
Day 2: (Approx. 4 hrs of non-mandatory classroom, followed by approx. 3 hrs of range training)
(The Range Proficiency Qualification is the only mandatory portion to complete the DPS' Curriculum, and only takes approx. 45 minutes. All other items are optional, and are conducted prior to, or after completion of, the DPS' required curriculum. You may opt to not conduct the optional training, & just conduct the Range Proficiency Qualification. If you desire a one-day class, we will conduct the Range Proficiency Qualification upon completion of the Day 1 topics)
- Introduction to Defensive Marksmanship
- Overview of the Psychological & Physiological Effects on the Body during an Armed Encounter
- Intro to Terminal Ballistics (Temporary Cavitation vs Permanent Cavitation), & Basic Anatomy & Physiology as it relates to Wounding Characteristics
- Combat Reloading / Tactical Reloading Techniques (using dummy rounds) *
- Clearing Malfunctions Safely (using dummy rounds) *
- Selecting Ammunition & Concealed Holster options for Self-Defense
- Range Proficiency Qualification (Mandatory Topic) *
- Step-by-step Drawing from Concealment (Dry-fire, progressing to Live Fire) *